Actually, “essential oil” is not a misnomer. The word, “essential” is often misunderstood for its other meaning. The cells owing to fragrant smell of any plant are its “essence”. Since the essence is extracted and made into oil, it’s called essential oil. Owing to the usage of smell in its medical applications, this falls into the branch of Aromatherapy. Both aromatherapy and essential oils are garnering huge popularity now. By concept, it’s somewhere between current day medical technology and eastern medicine. Here’s the list of 15 most popular essential oils making its presence in the household.
- Bergamot: It helps with depression and digestion. It relieves depression and keeps blood pressure low. It improves conditions like anxiety and stress. It’s a good natural deodorant.
- Cedarwood: It’s an antiseptic, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It’s a natural deodorizer and sedative. It treats scalp and promotes hair growth. Skin conditions like eczema are improved.
- Chamomile: Chamomile relives you from stress and anxiety. Heart health can be boosted up. You can consume it in herbal tea as well as add it to your shampoo or moisturizer.
- Eucalyptus: It’s strong yet smooth aroma works till opening up your airways. It treats all respiratory issues like asthma, cold, cough and congestion. It works best, dropped to your bath.
- Jasmine: Jasmine plants are available in abundance in China and India. It treats everything from depression to childbirth. It combats unhealthy addictions efficiently.
- Lavender: For people dealing with anxiety, the soothing effect of lavender truly helps. It comes handy to elevate your yoga experience. Breathe it to feel blissful.
- Lemon: Refreshing scent of lemon is effective in killing bad vibes. It alerts you to situations and improves focus. It comes in as a handy fix to cuts, scratches and every type of open wound.
- Marjoram: Marjoram solves the issue of having a hyperactive kid. This Greek medicine relieves anxiety and treats hyperactivity in children. Marjoram is off the limits for pregnant ladies.
- Patchouli: Gone are those days, Patchouli stayed a hippies’ darling. Courtesy of its skincare properties being promoted, it is now used by people from all walks of life.
- Peppermint: Its simulating menthol aroma brings you to sharpest of mental state. It also combats conditions like congestion, digestive problems, migraines and achy muscles.
- Rose: This priciest of oils is to be carried by women at all times. It treats most of the issues of women. It should also be strictly avoided during pregnancy.
- Rosemary: It lifts your mood during those foggy times. It’s best added to your hot bath. Though known for its mental simulant properties, it helps with skin issues and liver infection.
- Sandalwood: One of the best smelling essential oil in Sandalwood is loved for its woody fragrance. It can be applied as incense, vaporizer, massage oil and what not.
- Tea Tree: Extracted from barks, it’s popular as an alternative medicine. Being oil stringent, it treats oily face and scalp issues to such perfection.
- Ylang-Ylang: It can be smelt from a distance, owing to its strong fragrance. Its likeable aroma is a stress buster. It is such a good aphrodisiac, when used in moderate levels.
Since none of the essential oil is regulated by FDA, check with the reputation of the seller before making a purchase.